Transcend Card Reader error

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
janzaldua

Transcend Card Reader error

Post by janzaldua »

The card I'm using:

Samsung 128GB PRO Endurance UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card

The reader:

TS-RDF5 SD Transcend
cardreader.png
cardreader.png (8.77 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
I get this error and it won't show any information within Hard Disk Sentinel.

Update:
I upgraded to v10 of HDS, and now the error is a little different.
card12.png
card12.png (10.15 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Transcend Card Reader error

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, this is completely normal and expected.
This is not absolutely not an error and absolutely not related to the Transcend Card Reader.

Generally normal SD cards (non-industrial cards) never respond to any kind of status detection.
If you use the Control Device-specific detection function in Hard Disk Sentinel then it attempts to detect status information of INDUSTRIAL SD cards: Hard Disk Sentinel performs different detection techniques designed for such industrial cards - as by then, these cards can report status, health information and/or lifetime status/statistics.
However, normal (non-industrial) SD cards do not support this feature, so they not respond any status information.

The result what you see is a technical information only, just shows which detections performed. As you can see, newer version attempts more (this is why the information is longer). This could be used to diagnose issue when an appropriate industrial card would be used which may not provide details.

Please check:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/kb/category/12/solid-state-drives-ssds/why-the-health-of-the-pendrivememory-card-is-unknown.html
which explains the situation.

Also the page
https://www.hdsentinel.com/how_to_monitor_sd_card_health_status.php
designed to explain with more details:

In this tutorial, it is described about how to monitor the complete status of appropriate industry standard (micro) SD cards, USB devices with Hard Disk Sentinel.

and lists the currently supported industrial SD card models.

Other type of SD cards will not provide status information, it is normal and expected behaviour. For these, we can use the Disk menu -> Surface test functions to diagnose: reveal / stabilize possible problems.

I recommend to ask the manufacturer of the SD card about the situation. Hopefully later we can have more and more (ideally not only industrial-grade) SD cards we can monitor with Hard Disk Sentinel.