System Management Information always included in e-mails

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
pimjoosten

System Management Information always included in e-mails

Post by pimjoosten »

Using HDS Professional v6.10 I noticed that e-mails always include System Management Information even when this option is disabled under Configuration > Message Settings > Detailed report components. All other items do obey the settings there, it is just System Management Information that does not.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: System Management Information always included in e-mails

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and attention. Yes, as some new detection codes added to recent versions, this section automatically appear in the reports.
An update made which should not add it (just if enabled at Configuration > Message Settings > Detailed report components), so if you have some time, please check:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/beta6/hdsentinel_pro_setup_6103-arnc.zip

To update, please completely close existing Hard Disk Sentinel by File -> Exit and (without uninstallation) install this version to the same folder where the previous installed. This way the new version will automatically use all statistics, settings, license etc.
Maybe you can backup the folder, just to be sure.

I suggest to please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, so I can check / verify / confirm the situation - but if something is still
not correct, it can help in further development.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thank you for your elaborate response and quick fix. I can confirm that System Management Information is not included in the e-mails any more if it is deselected in Configuration > Message Settings > Detailed report components in v6.10.3 beta.

I have however found a new bug. If under Configuration > E-mail Configuration a test mail is sent using the Mail Test button, two test mails are sent instead of one. One mail has the subject title "Hard Disk Sentinel [HDSAction]: Mail Test", the other one has the subject title "Hard Disk Sentinel: Mail Test (computer name) [100 %]". The body of both mails is the same: "If this message is delivered, the e-mail configuration is correct. Hard Disk Sentinel - http://www.hdsentinel.com".

I will send you a test report.

I hope this is helpful.
Best regards,

Pim
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your attention, however this is absolutely not a bug (I wonder why you thought that ;) ) but exactly the opposite.

As the projects executed by an external module which may send e-mail alert (if configured) it is important to verify if that external module can also connect and send an e-mail.
If a firewall is active, you may need to enable both the main application (HDSentinel.exe) and the external module (HDSAction.exe) too to prevent blocking of e-mail sending.

This is why two test e-mails sent IF at least one backup project configured (so generally when this external module used): if you receive both, you can be sure that things are working as should ;)
The e-mail subject for the 2nd test e-mail should contain [HDSAction] exactly to suggest this.

Sorry for the possible confusion ;)
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thank you for response and my apologies for my late response. I had to meet some deadlines first.

It is good to know that 2 test e-mails can be sent. It makes sense because of what you describe. It may be a good idea to add this to the help text not only to avoid confusion, but also that one knows there should be 2 test e-mails if a project is defined.

I thought it was a bug because I only noticed it after updating to v6.10.3 beta. But, as I now know, that was because I had only defined my first projects very recently. Therefore I assumed it had something to do with the new beta version.

Best regards,

Pim