2.5 inch drives in video game consoles like the PS3

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
BOWi_QC

2.5 inch drives in video game consoles like the PS3

Post by BOWi_QC »

I recently discovered that the Playstation 3, which was released in 2006 and received many revision as late as 2014, had many power supply configurations. (Source: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply)

The console had the three following configurations when it comes to "5V" during its lifespan:
  • 5V 3A (Year 1)
  • 5V 0.6A (Year 2 and 3, if I'm right) (I own such model)
  • 5.5V 0.9A (From Year 3 and after that)
I understand that 5V 3A is more than enough to supply a 2.5" HDD, even if one was to charge a controller using a USB2 (500mA) port.

That being said... What happens when you try using a regular off the shelf 2.5" HDD inside a "0.6A" device like the PS3 from Years 2 and 3? Is there a chance that your HDD won't be compatible? How can one buy such HDD with confidence?

The same applies to the "5.5V 0.9A" variant... It seems that some (a lot?!) of HDDs are not designed to sustain 5.5V for more than a few seconds. (or at all)...

Maybe I'm dumb too: maybe the PS3 and those other devices with weird voltage have other components that process the electricity before it reaches specific peripherals or components.

Does anyone know how HDDs (especially consumer-oriented 2.5" SATA HDDs) behaves in such devices?