Seagate 15K Drive Failure Predicted in Sentinel But Seatools Shows No Issue

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
Godfather

Seagate 15K Drive Failure Predicted in Sentinel But Seatools Shows No Issue

Post by Godfather »

Hello there.

My Seagate enterprise 15K SAS drive shows imminent failure in HDDSentinel but Every test done by manufacturers Seatools shows a healthy drive including the Long Drive Self Test (LDST). The drive is showing no sign of slowing down or any issues indicative of failure. It performs as it should be. What could be the issue here? Controller incompatibility or the version of sentinel is unable to read smart correctly? I have no clue. I have attached the screen shots containing the test result using seatools and hddsentinel health status here.

Drive: Seagate Enterprise Turbo SSHD
SAS Controller: LSI 9212-4i
Testing Tool: Seagate Seatools and HDD Sentinel.
Attachments
sentinel.png
sentinel.png (75.24 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Seatools.png
Seatools.png (73.58 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Seagate 15K Drive Failure Predicted in Sentinel But Seatools Shows No Issue

Post by hdsentinel »

I'm afraid no, there is no incompatibility or any similar. Exactly the opposite: Hard Disk Sentinel (as should) reads and shows the actual real status of the drive. As you can see on the Overview page, the SMART status of the drive is:

Data Channel Impending Failure Data Error Rate Too High

as indicated by the ASC / ASCQ codes provided by the drive firmware to suggest the pre-failure condition. These determine the SMART status of SCSI / SAS drives in general. Because of this pre-failure warning, Hard Disk Sentinel shows 0% Health, to increase attention to this issue.

According to this text description, there were uncorrected read errors (you can verify on the S.M.A.R.T. page), probably the drive internal firmware triggers the above pre-failure warning because of these.

The question is not why Hard Disk Sentinel detects / shows it - because it is the purpose of Hard Disk Sentinel, exactly to detect/show such issues, degradations and allow time to backup and prepare for replacement.

The question is why the manufacturer specific tool does not show it?
Where do you see S.M.A.R.T. status (temperature, health, power on time, error counter, SMART status, these ASC/ASCQ codes or any similar) in the other tool?

The problem (as discussed many times) is that manufacturer specific tools not designed to show any errors but exactly the opposite: to HIDE problems and minimise warranty requests. This is why it does not show any real information.

Yes, probably SeaTools started the internal self test function of the drive (which is same as Disk menu -> Short self test / Extended self test in Hard Disk Sentinel).
Ideally yes, these tests should show no problems and ideally even a complete disk surface (Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test in Hard Disk Sentinel) will show no issues. This is possible, as generally enterprise grade SCSI / SAS drives have much better error detection / correction than regular SATA drives.

However, if the drive would be connected to a SAS RAID controller, probably the controller would refuse using the drive (or "just" shows warning/alert) because its general status which indicates that it may fail.

As always, I recommend to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, then it is possible to check the "raw" status detected, verify and confirm the situation, just to 100% be sure.