Best Burn In test For new HDDS

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
bolija7851

Best Burn In test For new HDDS

Post by bolija7851 »

I am buying used 4TB HDDs, what is the best way to test it?
Can I test two HDDs at a time?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Best Burn In test For new HDDS

Post by hdsentinel »

Please check Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> Hard disk health is low or recently changed or I just installed a new (used) hard disk. How can I perform a deep analysis?

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests

It suggests the combination of hardware + software tests:

1) Disk -> Short self test
2) Disk -> Extended self test
3) Disk -> Surface test -> Read test
4) Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialize disk surface

to ensure, verify / confirm that the drive is perfect - or reveal any kind of issue.

The use of all of the above tests may take long time (especially on a high capacity drive) so you may save time: maybe run only 1) and 3)
to verify the general operation of the drive by the Short self test (internal hardware self test) and perform a complete Read scan to ensure that all sectors can be read.

Instead of the 4), maybe you can use Disk menu -> Surface test -> Write+Read test. This is a "light" version of the Reinitialise Disk Surface test, will complete in about 1/3 - half time compared to the Reinitialise Disk Surface test and still good enough to verify / confirm that the entire disk can be both written and read back.

Yes of course, you can launch the tests on multiple drives at the same time. You may use same or different kind of tests on multiple drives, so (for example) perform two Read tests - or select different type of test for each of your drives.

If you start Disk -> Short self test or Disk -> Extended self test, you can select multiple drives or (if the test started) use the Background button to send the test to background and select other drive / test as you prefer.

The same is true for Disk menu -> Surface test too, you can immediately select multiple drive(s) to be tested with the same test - or (if a test is already running) you can select a different one test from the Disk menu to be started on a different drive.

(the exception is the Disk Repair and Quick Fix tests, these can be used on one drive at any given time).