Firecuda 530 NVMe

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Megaman

Firecuda 530 NVMe

Post by Megaman »

Dear Dev.

Thank you for the new release of HDSentinel 6.20, always awesome update and absolutely "Must Have Disk Utility"

I have a couple questions and hopefully you can shine some light on it so I have better understanding and put my curiosity to rest.
On my Samsung drive as you can see on screenshot, HDSentinel can record hottest temperature during entire life of the drive which in this case is 47C.

ON both of my Firecudas, that is not kept and I know at one time the drives where reaching close to 40C-45C so, HDSentinel did see it, but its not keeping it permanently, unless there is something I should do or I'm missing.

Also, Firecudas are fairly new drives and right from Get-Go I remember as soon as I installed them they would show the "Number of Error Information Log Entries,,"4,089",00,0,Enabled"

What is that, I'm not understanding it, should I be concern?
Thank you
Temp.png
Temp.png (187.54 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Sumsung.png
Sumsung.png (189.41 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Errors.png
Errors.png (178.67 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Please hold on with the answer as far is the "Maximum temperature" that is supposedly not been permanently stored during entire life. I might have overlooked something, I will report back soon.

Update:

Just tested again to make sure I'm not posting something that works and maybe its my misunderstanding, but if I hit the "Go-back " blue arrow beside "MAX and MIN Temps (ever measured)" it goes back to current temps and erases Maximum temps during life time.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Firecuda 530 NVMe

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and kind words, really appreciated ;)

As I see, probably you already found the answer but I write the details, just to confirm.

Generally IDE/SATA hard disks and SSD "internally" store the highest temperature value ever measured by different ways.
Usually the "Worst" column (or one of the bytes under the Data column) of the Temperature attribute on the S.M.A.R.T. page contains this information. We do not know exactly WHEN, but from this value we can know what was the highest temperature ever measured by the drive itself, even if Hard Disk Sentinel (or any disk monitoring software) was not active/running at all.

In contrast, NVMe SSDs do NOT record this kind of information: if you compare, you may notice that the S.M.A.R.T. page is generally completely different for the NVMe SSD (there is no Value / Worst columnn) as they provide completely different kind of status information.
So for these SSDs, for the highest temperature during lifespan we can only display what Hard Disk Sentinel measured. This is not a big problem if we monitor the drive from the first hour (maybe we only miss a temperature value during Windows install).

But yes, as you can see, when you "reset" the measured values (by the blue arrow on the Temperature page) and/or if you completely reinstall the system and/or if you move the NVMe SSD to a completely different system, then that number is no longer "known" as it is not recorded by the SSD itself.

> show the "Number of Error Information Log Entries,,"4,089",00,0,Enabled"
> What is that, I'm not understanding it, should I be concern?

This is completely normal, no need to worry. That error log may contain entries when the chipset driver has a minor issue, eg. try to use an unsupported command to manage the SSD. This value does not mean any physical device error or any risk of data corruption / data loss.
The Disk menu -> Device Specific Information function attempts to read the internal error log of the SSD, so it may give some information about the LAST error (as these SSDs do not keep the whole log, clears the log on every power cycles).

As long as the Media and Data Integrity errors attribute is zero and the Available Spare Percent is 100, no need to worry (even if the Health % will decrease because of normal wearout, reflected by the Percentage Used attribute).
Megaman

Re: Firecuda 530 NVMe

Post by Megaman »

Thank you very much for your in depth, very helpful explanation to both of my inquiries.
Have a wonderful day.