License question - private use of networked monitoring ?

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
TWTwisti

License question - private use of networked monitoring ?

Post by TWTwisti »

Hello,

I am interested in finding a solution to running Sentinel on my personal, private machines, of which there are a physical server I rent from Hetzner as well as three little Raspberry Pis I run at my home. I saw there is a corporate license, but the cost is clearly aimed at actual corporations, which I most definitely am not. Is there any way to set up network monitoring with the family license, which I would assume would otherwise be appropriate for my use case ? I'd rather not have to check each machine manually but was hoping I could get it to all report their data to my desktop PC (the externally rented server is connected via a Wireguard VPN, so connectivity isn't a problem)
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: License question - private use of networked monitoring ?

Post by hdsentinel »

Hello,

The Corporate license is generally an installer which can help to install Hard Disk Sentinel Pro on multiple computers (from 10).
It is a special installer which automatically installs the license and it is possible to install as pre-configured.
It's purpose is to allow easier installation / deployment for multiple computers.

In any other ways (in terms of functionality, features, hardware support) it is 100% same as the "normal" (non-Corporate) version of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro. So no difference (for any version) in terms of private/home/company/business use.

Generally all licenses grant lifetime use and free updates to all future versions, the only requirement is the number of computers wher Hard Disk Sentinel Pro installed:

- by a single-computer Hard Disk Sentinel Pro license code : 1 computer
- by a Hard Disk Sentinel Pro Family license code : 5 computers
- by the mentioned Corporate installer, it is the number of computers defined by the license during the order

As you can see, in all cases the only important is the number of Windows computers where the software installed.
For ANY of the above licenses, you can connect ANY Linux systems (NAS devices, Raspberry PIs or other devices running Linux) to monitor their status over the network.

So (for example) if you have a Hard Disk Sentinel Pro Family license, you can install Hard Disk Sentinel Professional on up to 5 computers (running Windows) and can configure monitoring of remote Raspberry PI systems from any of these 5 Hard Disk Sentinel Pro installations (on Windows computers), assuming that they can be accessible over the network, so Hard Disk Sentinel Pro can read their status (if they configured to provide status over the network as described at https://www.hdsentinel.com/how_to_monitor_network_attached_storage_nas_status.php )
TWTwisti

Re: License question - private use of networked monitoring ?

Post by TWTwisti »

I only realized today I got a response here (I assumed I would get a mail when someone did, which I never got); thank you for that extensive and exhaustive answer! This sounds perfect for me, so I will be getting that family plan and set it up like described above.