Disable storage space indicator while retaining health icon

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
hunnypuppy

Disable storage space indicator while retaining health icon

Post by hunnypuppy »

how do I configure sentinel to show the health icon on explorer integration, but I don't want to see the storage space indicator? the storage indicator is redundant on explorer but the I can't seem the delink the two?

Also I turn off (disable) monitoring the storage space in the options it also turns off the health indicator, that kinda sucks. Plus I can't use * in it to specify turn off storage monitoring for all drives.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Disable storage space indicator while retaining health icon

Post by hdsentinel »

With the default icon sets (XP and Vista-style) yes, these are linked together - so you can't disable the storage space indicator alone, as it disables the health indicator also, as you can see.

But if you download and use the "Shiny Metal" icon set from the Add-ons page (directly from http://www.hdsentinel.com/add-on-iconsets.php ) and you open it in Hard Disk Sentinel at Configuration -> Disk Control, then you'll have two new icon set options:

- Shiny Metal which has both storage space indicator and health indicator
- Shiny Metal [BASIC] which has only health indicator, without storage space indicator

(moreover, this icon set has different icons for system hard disk, USB drives and so).

Yes, the * does not work at the "Do not examine space information of the following disks" field. However, usually it is not required to disable capacity detection on any hard disk - maybe with the exception of removable and/or network drives, but those have options to disable their storage space detection.
hunnypuppy

Post by hunnypuppy »

its not about disabling the detection it's a way around disabling the storage icons.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I completely agree that disable monitoring of used / free space is a different question.
As you wrote:
"Also I turn off (disable) monitoring the storage space in the options..."
this is why I answered about this question as well.

If you prefer to have health indicator icons (green tick mark, yellow exclamation mark, red X) but with "no capacity" indicator gauge, please download the "No Capacity" icon set (just added to the Add on: Icon Sets page: http://www.hdsentinel.com/add-on-iconsets.php ).
Alternatively you can download directly from http://www.harddisksentinel.com/iconsets/nocapacity.hdz

Just double click on the file after download and then Hard Disk Sentinel will immediately use that icon set - showing only the hard disk health indicators but not the capacity gauges.

SethAluma

Post by SethAluma »

Thank you for these, but would it also be possible to have the Windows 11 styled icons with only the drive health indicator? (i.e. no disk space indicator)
Last edited by SethAluma on 2024.03.13. 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
SethAluma

Post by SethAluma »

Actually, I've decided to make my own Windows 11 icon set :)

Can you please let me know all of the supported drive types, and their headers in ICONSET.TXT? (e.g. HARDDRIVES, SYSTEMDRIVE, USBDRIVE, USBPENDRIVE, NETWORKDRIVE, more?)

Are there icon sections for things like bitlockered drives, iSCSI, etc?

It might be good to have a page in the docs on creating a custom icon set, and the ICONSET.TXT ini structure.

Attached is what I have so far:
windows11basic.jpg
windows11basic.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Attachments
windows11-nocap.zip
(474.03 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by SethAluma on 2024.03.16. 09:45, edited 3 times in total.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Wow, thanks for your post, hard work and time, I'm sure it would be really helpful for users ;)

If you agree, I'll add your package to the

https://www.hdsentinel.com/add-on-iconsets.php

page (with your nickname or real name as you prefer) as it would help other users too.

> Can you please let me know all of the supported drive types, and their headers in ICONSET.TXT?
> (e.g. HARDDRIVES, SYSTEMDRIVE, USBDRIVE, USBPENDRIVE, NETWORKDRIVE, more?)

I can confirm there are no more types: the sample icon set contains all, exactly to illustrate the possible drive types can be used when defining a custom icon set. These are (as you wrote).

HARDDRIVES - "basic" hard disk drive icons, these are used by default for an icon set
SYSTEMDRIVE - if specified, these icons used for the drive contains the OS
NETWORKDRIVE - if specified, these icons used for network (remote) drives
USBDRIVE - if specified, these icons used for USB hard disk drives / SSDs
USBPENDRIVE - if specified, these icons used for USB pendrives / memory card readers (and possible generally for smaller capacity USB drives with no self-monitoring status too)

> Are there icon sections for things like bitlockered drives, iSCSI, etc?

No, those drives do not have separate icon sections now. Not sure if required / would be useful, eg. iSCSI drives do not provide any kind of health / status / statistics information) but will consider them.
SethAluma

Post by SethAluma »

No worries, feel free to post it- no need for my name at all (it's in the "about" information if people want to know it) :D.

The System, SATA, Network, and USB hard disk icons were initially obtained via Windows itself (I added the USB symbol and the status icons to the default Windows drive icons), and the USB pendrive icon was made by PC Unleashed (it's in the public domain, and can be used freely).

I've added a higher resolution pen drive icon to the pack, made a "better" example image, and added proper credits to the author field.
windows11-nocap.jpg
windows11-nocap.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 753 times

>> Are there icon sections for things like bitlockered drives, iSCSI, etc?

>No, those drives do not have separate icon sections now. Not sure if required / would be useful, eg. iSCSI drives do not provide any kind of health / status / statistics information) but will consider them.

My thinking was that the icons would show what type of drive it is. Like how the USB Pen Drive and Network drives have icons, but no status indicators from HDS.
Without specific drive type icons, they just show as a standard "HARDDRIVE" icons.

Also, would it be beneficial to have an icon difference for SSD/HDD type drives? That way, users can see at a glance that the drive is mechanical or SSD.

I don't have any bitlocked drives in my server, but i'll do some testing to see how the icons look if a drive is bitlocked.
Attachments
windows11-nocap.zip
(553.86 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by SethAluma on 2024.03.18. 06:36, edited 2 times in total.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your excellent work and time, I just added the sample image and the download link to the

https://www.hdsentinel.com/add-on-iconsets.php

page, so users can find it there too ;)

Thanks for the tip, will consider about different disk drive types too.