add Transfer Rate to Gadget (sidebar)

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
MrRik

add Transfer Rate to Gadget (sidebar)

Post by MrRik »

Hi again,

Suggestions for feature version:
1) It would be nice if you could add to the sidebar Gadget: for each drive a second graphic box with transfer rate, same way as activity graphic box.
Since this window is quite small and drives are able to achieve even 500MB/sec (eg SSD) this days, it might be difficult to realise, compared with activity (only 100%).
But there is a simple solution: use different colors for the graphic bars! eg 0-100MB/sec green, 200-300 yellow, 300-400 red, etc... (see screendump simulation)
To make it easy to understand my idea, i made a simulation on the attached screendump, so I was adding graphic box (using different colors) for drive C:, below existent activity box, and a check-box with text to enable/disable it.
HDS idea Gadget.jpg
HDS idea Gadget.jpg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
Mr fake counter ;)
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: add Transfer Rate to Gadget (sidebar)

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the idea!

Not really sure if I understand the meaning of the colors in this case ...
Maybe then the "red" bars should be greater than the "yellow" bars and much greater than the "green" bars, to reflect that the value is higher?
I just feel using red/yellow/green colors there may be confusing as they should reflect status (for example "Alert", "Warning", "OK" - as the red/yellow/green colors are used for this purpose).
What do you think?
MrRik

Post by MrRik »

Using different colors make it possible to show a value of eg 0 to 500MB in several scales: eg from 0 to 50, from 50 to 100, from 100 to 150.
So this way it is possible to show in a small graphic bar, where you actually need a bigger one, if you only use one color.
This is not an invention of me, I saw it the first time years ago in a network bandwidth monitor tool, and also Aida is using different colors in graphic bars.
Maybe you will understand it better if you see the attachment screendump, a mix of different 3 screendumps.

I understand your concern regarding red, orange colors, since they have an alert status, but you can avoid them as default colors and provide ability to set custom colors.
color.jpg
color.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 13158 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes I see, thanks!
Yes, maybe it would be better to use some "neutral" colors (eg. blue, light blue, orange, etc...) as default colors, with the option to modify them.
It will be available in a later version and we'll see how it would work.
MrRik

Post by MrRik »

Great :D
But of course there is no hurry, this is minor, but welcome!
Yes, use neutral colors as default, but orange is not neutral ;)
When using colors as orange, you can use them with low saturation, so you get a kind of grey orange.

Mr fake #counter ;)
klauzser

Post by klauzser »

Any update on this feature. Is it already available when I upgraded?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

The gadget shows the actual disk usage but the coloured bars are not yet available.
klauzser wrote:Any update on this feature. Is it already available when I upgraded?