Create a report via command line and/or Projects interface

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
Samurai

Create a report via command line and/or Projects interface

Post by Samurai »

I have integrated HD Sentinel into an in-house developed backup and archival management software. One of its features is to automatically create and send a periodic report of the backup status of the computer. I have included an option to include also HDS status if HDS is installed on the computer.

The HDS Report is now created via HDS user interface by using AutoHotkey which is neither extremely sophisticated nor a very reliable way to do it in real life. This is especially true after having discovered that the menu shortcut commands were changed after V3.50 (I do understand that they are subject to change without prior notice as new releases of the software are being developed).

However it would be great to have a command line interface to produce a same kind of report that can now be produced via the user interface. An alternative (or additional) way to do it could be to extend the "Projects" feature by adding a new project type "Create report".

Do you see these as realistic new features in a near future release? That would make it easier to integrate HDS into other monitoring software products...
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Create a report via command line and/or Projects interface

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the ideas! The command line option may be available soon(er) but also the report-project is also considered to be available in a later version
(it was also asked by other user who prefer to have such report(s) scheduled by HDSentinel).

FYI: Currently there is a command line option /REPORT

HDSentinel.exe /REPORT

In general, it used for debugging purposes as it saves developer-report to the folder of the software as HDSentinel_3.70.6 PRO_report.txt
However, you may also read and proceed that report: please ignore the first part before the text "-- Formatted report --"
and the remaining should be a complete (text) report about the system.
Not sure, but may help ;)
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Thank you again for the quick response and for the information!

I upgraded my software to V3.70 but was not able to find the report file. I guess I must now miss something very simple and obvious here...

I am trying to adapt the "correct way" to use Windows 7 and use a Standard user account for all activities, providing the Admin password only when asked by the UAC.

I looked after the report file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel as well as under the AppData\Local\VirtualStore for both my standard user account and the admin account.

(On the other hand it seems that maybe the developer report file is not the solution for me since the UAC asks for the admin password when the HDSentinel.exe /REPORT command is executed; the report should be created without end user involvement.) But anyway I'd like to have a look on the report. Do you have any idea what is the obviously very trivial thing I'm now blind to since I was not able to find the report file?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, the problem is the limited user rights.
If HDSentinel.exe started with /REPORT parameter, it saves report only if admin rights are granted (otherwise nothing happens).

So you may need to click "start" (the Windows symbol), type CMD, right click on CMD.EXE, select "Run as Administrator" and then navigate to the folder of the software (cd "\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel") and use HDSentinel.exe /REPORT
That way the report file will be saved to its folder.

However, this can't be automated, thanks to Microsoft & UAC ;)

There are other ways to get complete disk report:

1) enable WebStatus option (Configuration -> Integration) and you can get complete HTML report with web-browser by entering http://hostname-or-ip:61220/report
This is possible from local or even from remote system.
You may use an offline-downloader tool (like wget.exe) to get this HTML report to file.

2) there is an option to automatically export the detected information to fixed format XML file at
Configuration -> Advanced options
That should be used to "connect" the output of HDSentinel to other tool(s) and process the saved information by that.

These options are both available, regardless of the current user rights or OS used, one of these methods may help to integrate the output of the software to your system.
tersmitahdai1977

Post by tersmitahdai1977 »

This will be the perfect way to solve my problem. It is so lucky that I saw this.