Any dos updates coming soon?

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
radzer0

Any dos updates coming soon?

Post by radzer0 »

Id love to see a bootable version for times when drives has issues detecting properly in windows. Love the quick smart info on the standard dos version and wish it would get a update to support newer chipsets. Im seeing more and more that dont detect...

Any plans in the future?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Any dos updates coming soon?

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and question. Yes, in general Hard Disk Sentinel DOS ( http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_dos.php ) is useful exactly for this purpose.

Of course, it is planned to have updated DOS version released in the future. Just because of the limited development capacity, the DOS and Linux versions advance slower ....

Can you please send some information about the chipset(s) you experience problems?
If you prefer to help development, you may
- save a report with the DOS version by using /r command line switch (to save report to the pendrive/floppy running HDSDOS)
- use Report -> Send test report to developer option in the Windows version (if installed or if you can use the Portable version of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro under Windows)

These would help to investigate what is detected by the DOS version, what is missing and how it would be possible to improve the situation.
radzer0

Post by radzer0 »

I put that cd in sometimes 10-15 machines a day to do a quick check on machines for repair. I can write down what AHCI chipset it says the machine has if that will help you?

Only run the windows version on my one desktop that I backup too and mainly use it to pull up bad sector counts and such.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, please write down the chipsets and send to info@hdsentinel.com
The best would be to have report(s) from both the Windows and DOS versions - as this would help development.

Generally, if you temporary switch AHCI to IDE/Compatible mode in the BIOS setup, the hard disk status should be available in the current version also. We're working hard on improving the AHCI specific code under DOS.
Thanks for your help, time and attention!
radzer0

Post by radzer0 »

Some machines dont have that option. More-so this garbage there doing on the bios on windows 8 machines. Cant even boot to a cd without tons of extra steps.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Can you explain for me which is the best machine for that purpose ?[/quote]

In theory, the DOS version should work with any system. However, for best results, it may be best to try with Intel chipset set to IDE/Compatible mode in the BIOS (not RAID/AHCI).
village77
Location: 103-57 Village Centre Place, Mississauga, ON L4Z 1V9

Post by village77 »

also, I like new updates thanks for discus regarding it. I'm waiting for next update