Percentage of Lifetime Used Warning

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
rxp

Percentage of Lifetime Used Warning

Post by rxp »

I've got a Crucial CT 512GB MX100 SSD. I just installed HD Sentinel on the machine and it warned me that my life time writes were 144TB and percentage of wear was wearing out on the SSD.

I checked the attribute, it's reported as 3. In googling it appears that 3% relates to the life time consumed, so it's only 3% into its life. 100% would be due to using up all its life span.

Is HD Sentinel mis-reading the attribute?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Percentage of Lifetime Used Warning

Post by hdsentinel »

No, I'm afraid I can confirm Hard Disk Sentinel is correct. Not sure why you think it mis-leading the attribute.

Hard Disk Sentinel designed exactly to detect and display the current status of the SSD, even if it is not perfect, exactly to allow us to prepare for planned replacement when it is required.

As you may know, all writes on the SSD result that the health slowly but surely decreases.

Not sure which number is 3 on the S.M.A.R.T. page and which attrbute checked.

For this model, the attribute 202 Percentage Of The Rated Lifetime Used is the interesting in this case and the VALUE column shows the REMAINING health. This decreases from 100.

So is the Value = 3? Then it means that the REMAINING life is 3% only.
Or the "Data" field is 3? That number should increase with usage (as the Value field decreases).

Googling may cause confusion as one of the numbers is increasing - and the other is decreasing with use.

144 TB is excessive for this model. If you check the original specification:

http://eu.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialS ... yer-en.pdf

you may see: 72TB total bytes written

So already 2 x maximum possible written. Considering that, 3 % health is even "too high" if I can say.....

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I'd happy to check the actual situation, verify the complete status, self-monitoring attributes of the SSD, always interesting to see the status of so used SSDs .....
rxp

Post by rxp »

Oh wow! No idea how I used that much. I did have 4 Virtual Box VM's on the SSD - I guess they thrashed it to death.

I've sent the test report to you.

I'll order another one! Lucky I installed HD Sentinel in time- was just tweaking my server setup.
rxp

Post by rxp »

PS - just ordered the Samsung 860 Evo on next day. Rated for 2400tb written. I'm not running the VM's before but it's crazy that I killed this SSD in 3.5 years.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report, yes, I verified and I saw the numbers:

202 Percentage Of The Rated Lifetime Used 0 3 3 000000000061 0031 H OK (Always passing)

Value = 3 (this is decreasing with wear, starting from 100 ... 99 ... 98 etc)
Data = 0061 hex = 97 (this is increasing with wear, starting from 0 ... 1 ... 2 etc)

So yes, this confirms the 3% health.

Without checking, monitoring to see the degradation, this may remain completely unnoticed: there may be some slowness (which may or may not be noticed at all) but generally the SSD is working correctly. Just if it reaches the end of lifetime due to high number of writes, data corruption/data loss may occur.

I agree that this is a really good time to replace....
rxp

Post by rxp »

Yep - new one cloning right now! I'll use the old one as a scratch/torrent drive - there's nothing noticeably wrong and I saw a study where SSD's could go past 6-10x their rated life. Wouldn't risk it on an OS Drive but on a temp drive it's fine and provide a welcome speed boost.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the ... e-all-dead

From the above test it appears that if the data written is well beyond spec AND the SSD starts showing re-located sectors then its time to worry.

Still - thank you so much and great bit of software. So glad I purchased a family license!
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

To all users: I would suggest you enable the email notification option (set up both Configuration|Alerts and Configuration|E-mail Configuration). I have this configured to send me a daily status report (which honestly is a bit of an annoyance, since it keeps telling me things are at 100%). However, I also have it send me notifications if disk health falls below a certain level. Today, when I installed a new SSD, I instantly received both an email and text telling me of a problem with the drive. Fortunately, it turned out that my version of HD Sentinel just needed to be updated to properly detect this brand of SSD, but it reminded me how useful having such notifications can be!
rxp

Post by rxp »

To bump an old thread for me but I wanted to report back in. The Crucial CT512 SSD was replaced in 2018. However I still used it as a scratch drive for various disk intensive tasks. It's now hit 161.95TB and still passes all tests and there's been no performance drop.

Considering the rated life was 72TB, that's amazing.