Option to prevent computer from going to sleep?

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
mattprime

Option to prevent computer from going to sleep?

Post by mattprime »

Would it be possible to add a preference setting to allow the option to prevent the computer from going to sleep during a test? As far as I could tell I couldn't find this option. I've been turning off the sleep option altogether so I'm not even sure if it is a problem or not.

Having the computer go to sleep in the middle of a long test used to happen to me all the time with the WD Data Lifeguard software. I'd be hoping a test was done and then discover my computer went to sleep and has another 2-3 hours to complete unless I'd remember to disable sleep mode or extend it way out. It would be great if the sleep prevention mode just worked while running an extended test or surface test. When it would finish then the standard sleep time would come into play.

I don't know the feasibility of adding this feature but my favorite file copying software (fastcopy) added it a few years ago to prevent sleep while it was copying.

Otherwise I really appreciate that this software exists, thanks for continuing to update and improve it.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Option to prevent computer from going to sleep?

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and question.

I can confirm that there is no OPTION for this, because it is AUTOMATIC: exactly to prevent sleep during a long surface test (eg. Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test), Hard Disk Sentinel automatically prevents the power management function to activate which could put the system to sleep / standby.

This described in the Help:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/61_surfacetest.html

"... the software prevents the screensaver from starting, prevents the computer entering any standby or lower power management mode ..."