Incorrect behavior on AMD RAID

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
FaberfoX

Incorrect behavior on AMD RAID

Post by FaberfoX »

I've just changed my motherboard to one with an AMD B550 chipset. I've re created my arrays and restored from backup as my former one was Intel.
I've done the same I did before, I have two 6TB drives, and I've created two arrays on them, a 4TB RAID 1 for the more critical stuff, and a 4TB RAID 0 for disposable data.
There's a third 2TB disk that's correctly seen as it's not part of any array, and my old SSD that's offline as I'm passing it thru to a Hyper-V VM.

HD Sentinel correctly sees the backing disks, but messes up when figuring where the RAID volumes come from.

Attaching captures of Disk Management console, AMD RAIDXpert2 and HD Sentinel
Attachments
HD Sentinel
HD Sentinel
Screenshot 2021-11-04 124520.png (111.01 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
AMD RAIDXpert 2
AMD RAIDXpert 2
Screenshot 2021-11-04 124413.png (55.16 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
Disk Management Console
Disk Management Console
Screenshot 2021-11-04 124306.png (65.63 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect behavior on AMD RAID

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I'm afraid this can happen - which is usually a bug/limitation of the RAID controller or its driver.
Generally with AMD RAID controller (and with some others too), things are not "easy" as the controller not always provide the disk drives in correct order.
There are workarounds for this and Hard Disk Sentinel has many fixes for such controllers - but depending on the actual RAID configuration, chipset, driver version sometimes things can be confused.

Please check the latest 5.70.8 beta version, as such updates always have minor corrections/changes for many controllers, devices - so it is possible that things are better with it:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/beta5/hdsent ... 8-ddsi.zip

Also I suggest to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Then it is possible to check the "raw" response of the RAID controller - and this may help to check what (incorrect) information received and what can be done to improve the situation.