use as a service

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
nareshmeena

use as a service

Post by nareshmeena »

i use hard disk sentinal as a service
for testing purpose ,i used antivirus scanning which generally push nvme ssd to over which trigger to send email to me when temperature exceeded 50 degrees

my questions

1.hd sentinal not giving live system alert that my temperature exceeds 50 degress
2.does hd sentinel supports reading s.m.a.r.t features and will send email and system alert when it found any s.m.a.r.t error ??
3.their should be a feature wheres harddisk sentinel automatically checks for errors and do various type of test occasionally (like smart short ,exteneded,surface etc ) and if it found any error in any test ,it should give live system alert and send email
4.is their any disadvantage in using hd sentinel as service as from user interaction UI ( i found it usefull ,as its like configure and forget )
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: use as a service

Post by hdsentinel »

Generally in the Service mode, Hard Disk Sentinel runs "silently" in the context of the SYSTEM account, instead of the actual user.
So it is completely normal and expected that it does not show/display any warning/alert.

The Service mode generally designed to run when there is no user logged in - or the current user may have limited rights andd should have no access to all of the installed software (eg. in corporate environment).
It is ideal to configure first alerts (eg. e-mail alerts) and/or functions to automatically export status or make status/report available over the network - and then switch to service mode.

Please refer to the Support -> Frequently Asked Questions page:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#q6

and also to the Help -> Integration page
https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/330_ ... ation.html

for details about the Service mode.

If you want to see status too when Service mode used, please use the Hard Disk Sentinel Tray shortcut from Hard Disk Sentinel program group to see the actual hard disk / SSD temperatures on the tray and check the status.

About your questions:

1) Yes, this is completely normal because of the above

2) Yes, this is exactly the purpose of Hard Disk Sentinel to read the S.M.A.R.T. attributes and can report problems, including (for example) low health %, high temperature, degradation when a new problem found and logged and so.
Please check the Configuration -> Alerts page where it is possible to configure when alert(s) should be sent. The thresholds can be adjusted globally too and it is possible to specify custom Health % and Temperature thresholds for each drives independently.

3) There IS a such feature of course available of course.
The Disk menu -> Short self test / Extended self test functions can be launched manually in order to verify the operation of the hard disk or SSD.
To automate, you can create project to schedule these tests on any (one or more - or all available) disk drives when it is best to you and there is option to receive report about the test in all cases or just when an error found.

For this, please open Configuration -> Operations page where you can click on New to create a new project. Give it a name (eg. "Disk test") and set the Project type = Test hard disk(s)
Then select the hard disk(s) to be tested and the test type plus the options.
On the Configuration -> Operations -> Schedule page you can configure when to run this created "Disk test" project.

4) Please see the top of my answer.
The Service mode designed to separate the software from the current user: exactly to "configure and forget". It may be useful for many cases - but then you can't access to options and the main user interface too.
However, if you want to check the status, examine the results, verify the graphs, perform tests manually etc... then the default application mode can be better.
Both modes can be useful - you can decide which would fit better your requirements.
nareshmeena

Post by nareshmeena »

thank you very much for your detailed answer

only one doubt left about 4th point

extended smart test on 1tb hdd takes usually takes 4+ hours
what will happen if i scheduled to run extended smart test on monday ,and i turn off my system before completing test?? { im using hd sentinel as service }}
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

The hard disk drive of course stops the test if the system is turned OFF.

This causes no problems at all in the operation of the hard disk drive.

If you'll check a report later (eg. by double click on the hard disk temperature tray icon if you have the Hard Disk Sentinel Tray extension running for the service) about the hard disk drive, you may notice that it shows that the

Self test execution status = Aborted by host
(or depending on the drive it may be Interrupted instead).

In application mode, this is displayed on the Information page too.