Event 523 caused by HDS

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
narf

Event 523 caused by HDS

Post by narf »

hi all,
i'm using hard disk sentinel on windows 10 x64 with a bunch of disks. one of them is a samsung 980 M.2 NVMe on a mainboard with AMD B550 chipset.

i was having a lot of events 523 in my eventlog:

Code: Select all

The miniport logged an event.

MiniportName = stornvme
MiniportEventId = 12
MiniportEventDescription = Admin Command Error
PortNumber = 1
AdapterGuid = {bcd5e460-41d6-11ed-8fdb-806e6f6e6963}
PathID = 255
TargetID = 255
LUN = 255
ClassDeviceGuid = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
BootDevice = true
Irp = 0xffffab0f8d180010
Srb = 0xffffab0fa2c9b500
Parameter1Name = OPC
Parameter1Value = 2
Parameter2Name = SCT
Parameter2Value = 0
Parameter3Name = SC
Parameter3Value = 2
Parameter4Name = ThrottledInstanceCount
Parameter4Value = 11

the search took a while until i found HD Sentinel to be the cause. i was getting this error every hour... i tried some things and since i disabled 2 settings, i don't get the event anymore.
1) settings > disk control > do not examine space information for the following disks.... = all partitions on that samsung 980 drive
2) settings > advanced options > detection frequency = 12h

well, it has not been 12h, yet ;)

is there an issue with this drive? - i'm using the standard windows ahci drivers and not using RAID.

thanks.
narf
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Event 523 caused by HDS

Post by hdsentinel »

Sounds really interesting.

> i was getting this error every hour...

By default, Hard Disk Sentinel detects the status information once per every 5 minutes. So if the status detection would cause any issue, then you'd probably see more frequently....

> i tried some things and since i disabled 2 settings, i don't get the event anymore.
> 1) settings > disk control > do not examine space information for the following disks.... = all partitions on that samsung 980 drive
> 2) settings > advanced options > detection frequency = 12h

Please try to inspect which option can affect the situation.
The free space detection generally does not make anything special, just checks/reports the amount of used/free space, like Windows Explorer, Total Commander or anything else detecting/showing the free space. So if the free space detection triggers the event - then probably you'll see similar when other application detects/shows the used/free space too (?)

> is there an issue with this drive? - i'm using the standard windows ahci drivers and not using RAID.

Without seeing the drive status, hard to say for sure.

The AHCI driver is not really relevant for the NVMe drive, but yes, I suspect it may be related to the NVMe driver used.

Can you please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option? Then it is possible to check the actual situation and it may give some thoughts - plus then it is possible to reproduce and investigate and verify if there may be anything to do to improve the situation (if it's really related to Hard Disk Sentinel).