Bug on hdd

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Tuttolotta

Bug on hdd

Post by Tuttolotta »

Hello, i have tried the overwrite option with usb 2.0 sata cable, unfortunately power was cut out during it and after that the hdd became useless, it stays in raw format. On one pc it gives error at the end of the format, i tried even the hard format. On other i format it then, pc tells there is error and needs to be scanned, but that doesnt work. Files sent to it dont function properly. The one thing which helps was clean disk from cmd but then i cant partition and use it again... Any ideas please help.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Bug on hdd

Post by hdsentinel »

Not sure about the actual status (health, possible problems) of the disk drive itself.
I recommend to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option as then it is possible to check its status and advise.

Generally the overwrite test (if you mean the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Write test) deletes all partitions and data from the disk drive, so it is completely normal that the drive has no partition(s) and you need to partition and format it again. According what you wrote, probably the disk drive is really damaged and about to fail completely, this is why the format and any other attempts failed too. Usually this is too late, generally the idea is exactly to detect/reveal problems long before THIS point, to be notified and prepared (for example by backup and then prepare for replacement).

Also please note that USB 2.0 adapters/cables/converters may be not fully compatible with modern, high capacity hard disks and SSDs, there may be many compatibility issues, so maybe better to try with different USB adapter/dock, especially if the drive is 500 GB or larger.
Tuttolotta

Re: Bug on hdd

Post by Tuttolotta »

Ok so basically formatting worked with another computer, i also did it from diskpart and safely ejected the disk while i had created a volume in ntfs. All test in HDD sentinel were passed and hdd has good health. But for some reason after its ejected safely and plugged in it appears as raw format.