Which test/scan to use on my drive (current pending sector count)

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
chrisssj2

Which test/scan to use on my drive (current pending sector count)

Post by chrisssj2 »

I have a WD Elements Portable 5TB No weird noises, copy speed seems normal, can access drive normally seemingly so far.

Western digital life data guard tools give this error when quick scanning:
https://prnt.sc/QMnqA6vwrF2v
quick test status code 07 failed read test element checkpoint 97 unknown test. smart test did not complete on drive 4

These are my smart values.
https://prnt.sc/i-0VF-Fc2GeO

I formatted the drive exfat, 4MB. and its empty of data, and is chkdsk/f /r currently at 12% verify free space. This will take a loooooong time.
Im not sure i should have done this, western digital data lifeguard diagnostic extended test, or one of the HD sentinel's tests.

Can someone please advise me on what test(s) would be best to fix these smart errors?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Which test/scan to use on my drive (current pending sector count)

Post by hdsentinel »

The text description of Hard Disk Sentinel would immediately give the answer, no need to check the attributes manually. Please refer to

Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> What is a weak sector? How to repair weak sectors?

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_weak_sectors.php

This article clearly describes the situation:
- what are the weak sectors and how they appear
- why/how they cause that the internal self tests all fail
- why/how chkdsk is always a BAD idea to attempt to fix them as it never fixes but makes things even worse
- the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise Disk Surface test is the best way to attempt to fix them if their count is high

Yes, it will surely take looooooooooong time ;)
Maybe you can try the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Write test, it is simpler/faster and in many cases can also help to repair weak / pending sectors.

If your drive would have only very minor errors and relatively high Health % displayed in Hard Disk Sentinel, then the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Quick Fix could help too, it would attempt to quickly fix/stabilize the sectors.

In 99% of the cases, the USB connection / cable / USB extender / front panel USB connector is the source of the problems: the drive simply does not receive enough power for proper operation and this causes weak sectors. Yes, the drive seems working fine, just some sectors damaged - which can corrupt data and also can cause disk failure too. Make sure to use the drive with proper cable, rear panel USB 3.0 connection or use USB hub with external power supply to provide enough power for proper, stable operation.
chrisssj2

Post by chrisssj2 »

hdsentinel wrote: 2023.02.14. 07:42 The text description of Hard Disk Sentinel would immediately give the answer, no need to check the attributes manually. Please refer to

Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> What is a weak sector? How to repair weak sectors?

- why/how chkdsk is always a BAD idea to attempt to fix them as it never fixes but makes things even worse
- the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise Disk Surface test is the best way to attempt to fix them if their count is high

Maybe you can try the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Write test, it is simpler/faster and in many cases can also help to repair weak / pending sectors.

If your drive would have only very minor errors and relatively high Health % displayed in Hard Disk Sentinel, then the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Quick Fix could help too, it would attempt to quickly fix/stabilize the sectors.

In 99% of the cases, the USB connection / cable / USB extender / front panel USB connector is the source of the problems: the drive simply does not receive enough power for proper operation and this causes weak sectors. Yes, the drive seems working fine, just some sectors damaged - which can corrupt data and also can cause disk failure too. Make sure to use the drive with proper cable, rear panel USB 3.0 connection or use USB hub with external power supply to provide enough power for proper, stable operation.
Thanks for your reply.
This is how the drive looks in HD sentinel. says "There are 4 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk."

https://prnt.sc/lsbd5xt-Y9nT

Can you pause chkdsk and do this quick fix and then try resume chkdsk? it is now on 23% and I kinda don't want to cancel it now after 14 hours..
chrisssj2

Post by chrisssj2 »

hdsentinel wrote: 2023.02.14. 07:42 The text description of Hard Disk Sentinel would immediately give the answer, no need to check the attributes manually. Please refer to

at 72% complete somehow my computer accidently shutdown losing ALL chkdsk progress :( 3 days for nothing.

I did the quick test and it said this :
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537678671570272262/1075820803515494531/image.png
8 sectors repaired but couldnt repair all problems. then it said to do disk surface test, disk repair.
Which im doing now. says about 4 hours time left
chrisssj2

Post by chrisssj2 »

The test finished and says no errors... Now i am doing a full format and see what that does. im not leaving my PC on for almost a week again for chkdsk.... :(
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Sorry, but in the first reply I mentioned that "chkdsk is always a BAD idea to attempt to fix them as it never fixes but makes things even worse"
There is still no reason to use chkdsk on the drive ....