CANT FIND LOG AFTER DISK FAILURE

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
gpmonline

CANT FIND LOG AFTER DISK FAILURE

Post by gpmonline »

Hello,
Been using HDS forever and obviously find it helpful.

A 10 RB WD RED drive with no prior faults and expected life of 2 - 3 years just bricked. Is there any way to find a log file of the condition prior to failure? I dug through what appears to be available but was not able to find anything useful. You are showing log files for system drives - are those only stored on the actual disk drive? If so, since there was not warning given and the drive failed why is there no active log file in the PC software that would help with diagnosing a disk that simply stops working?

VERY frustrated I couldn't find anything useful but thought I would write since it is possible that I am overlooking something.

Thanks,
Greg
San Diego
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: CANT FIND LOG AFTER DISK FAILURE

Post by hdsentinel »

Please check File menu -> Open status of offline disk(s) function.

That designed to re-load the last known status of a previously connected disk drive, so you can review its status, statistics, logs, etc. just like if the drive would be still connected to the system. The drive appears with dark blue in the upper left area (where it is possible to select the disk drives) to indicate it is an OFFLINE drive.

Without using this function, Hard Disk Sentinel shows the currently connected/detected drives only (of course).
If a drive disconnected, no longer available in the system, then it is not displayed automaticaly unless enabled in the above mentioned File menu -> Open status of offline disk(s) window.

It is terrible to hear what happened, generally this is exactly want to avoid in all possible ways.
Personally I'd be more than curious about what was the last known status of the drive, did it report any problems, lower Health or "just" higher temperature (if the end of designed lifetime not yet reached). So if you use the above function to re-load the status and use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check, it may give some thoughts about what happened.