Please help ! Reinnitialization takes forever to start but repair runs flawlessly

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Ballers88

Please help ! Reinnitialization takes forever to start but repair runs flawlessly

Post by Ballers88 »

Im using hard disk sentinel for re-initislization of the surface if my 2tb wd hdd... It has 61 bad sectors and lots of weak sectors ( now they are gone because of reinnitialization progress..but i m having this issue ... I pause the test and proceed from the last known block... But i try to select a few blocks again in order to not let any block be left (for example if the last known tested block was 5174. I continue my test after a few hours delay from block number 5170.)

I am using reinitialization level 1 with try level 2... The disk is locked (the option in the software for locking the disk so only hd sentinel can access it, i forgot its proper name.) But sometimes and most of the time when i click Start , it takes a a minute to start the actual test. But in task manager in windows10, my disk shows 100% usage with no writes or read speeds showing... The test stqrts but the first block is done with relatively slow speeds.but sometimes, just( happened two times and its getting frequent) the disk wont start the reinnitialization test even if i wait for 5 minutes or so.. the disk this repeating sounds as if it revs down and spins up again in just a single second - in that, the disk doesnt start reading and writing as it should, in the surface test... And it keeps doing it after a minute or two... Nothing happens.. i reboot the computer But it keeps doing it.. so i shutdown the pc and boot it again..it works fine.. the hdd doesnt make that sound of slowing down and spinning up in a split second at all... It has never done that before and what confuses me is that i can the surface re-initislization test on THAT block 5170 before(before stopping the previous test.)so on the reboot, i started disk repair and it detected around 30 bad sectors and reallocated them... It happened two times now..one was on another block.... Then i stop the disk repair test in the middle and start re-initislization on that specific blcok with re-initislization level 30 and try level 2... It works fine and fixes the weak sectors found during the repair test for thst block..and finds a few more bad sectors and reallocates them..
Why reinnitialization on that block doesnt work every time i boot my pc and go straight for it... The hdd doesnt make that confused sounds anywhere after that...

Its not even that cold in here.. i live in asia and its about 20•C in here... I restart my reinnitialization surface test after an hour from the known complete block.. im so frustrated.. by the way this hdd is pretty old.. its like 9yo i got it used. But it worked fine till now and i want to fix it. Just for games , i know its not safe.
my power supply is good and i changed the cables...

Also will copying files from this hdd to a new one damage the new one somehow? Usig the win11 built-in copy thingy ...
Thank you so much for replying and helping me..
Kal
Ballers88

Re: Please help ! Reinnitialization takes forever to start but repair runs flawlessly

Post by Ballers88 »

Also its the second run.. maybe 3rd run........ Why is that?? It stays stuck ... But the hdd is just a load Factory, everything else is fine.. yes its slower.. but hey, its old too

I jsut want it not to not work...
Ballers88

Re: Please help ! Reinnitialization takes forever to start but repair runs flawlessly

Post by Ballers88 »

Now i got a trick up my sleeve, instead of heading first and trying re-initislization from the last known block, i first try READ surface fro mthat block.

It goes like butter, smooth, no bad blocks...
And then i stop it..and try re-initislization test from the same block... ..
Its better than having my hdd hangup and spin up and down in split seconds(in 30sec or 1min intervals... Not constantly every second... Its like its restsrting itself after getting hungg.the whole time the hdd is at 100% usage with ZERO read or writes in the task manager in win11... Im using the latest version of hd sentinel pro.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Without knowing the details (actual Health % and status, disk drive manufacturer / model, interface) hard to say anything for sure. If you prefer, use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, then it is possible to check the complete status and advise.
However, reading that the drive has numerous bad sectors and lots of weak sectors, I assume the Health can't be too high....

Generally no, there is no hung or anything similar. I'm afraid what you see is completely "normal" and expected: when the drive (during the test or during normal use when the affected sector accessed) attempts to read/write a such weak / pending sector, it is completely expected that it attempts to recover the data, repair the issue and seems "stuck" for some time. This can be seconds - or can be even hours or so, until it can process and advance to a different sector. This depends on lots of factors, but generally LOTS of weak sectors can cause that the drive may seems "stuck" for VERY LONG time, even hours or days (!)

Yes, during that, the usage is 100% (of course, the drive is attempting to recover from the problems, so generally busy) and the transfer speed is (almost) zero. During that anything which may access the drive (eg. Hard Disk Sentinel) may seem stuck, as it is waiting for the drive. It does not mean any problem - just (as should) forces the disk drive to repair problems.

Generally this is why such problems (bad / sectors) should be detected IN TIME and avoided in all possible ways.
When your drive already has 1000's of weak sectors, it is usually TOO LATE to try / attempt any kind of repairs and TOO LATE hoping that things can be fixed.

Ideally yes, the drives should never fail - or if they fail, they should still remain responsive, fast and error free. But this is not really possible....