is there anyway to temporarily disable hard drive monitoring for particular drive?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Anuruddha

is there anyway to temporarily disable hard drive monitoring for particular drive?

Post by Anuruddha »

Hi,
I'm using HDsentinel pro version. I have few questions.
  • Today I accidentally unplugged the USB cable of my external WD elements drive while HDSentinel was active on that drive. Did it do any harm to hard drive or data?
    Is there anyway to temporarily disable hard drive monitoring for particular drive (I mean when we want external drive to disconnect and reconnect) ?
Please help me.
-------------------
:geek: Anuruddha :geek:
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: is there anyway to temporarily disable hard drive monitoring for particular drive?

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi!

Not really sure what do you mean "HDSentinel was active on that drive"
Did you run a disk test (eg. Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test) or anything similar?
Or did you just see the drive status in Hard Disk Sentinel?

Generally there should be no problem if there was no disk activity.
If the drive status (health, temperature etc) simply displayed in Hard Disk Sentinel, it does not mean the drive is "locked" or so.

> Is there anyway to temporarily disable hard drive monitoring for particular drive
> (I mean when we want external drive to disconnect and reconnect) ?

No, there is no way for that - because it is not required.
You can any time disconnect / reconnect: Hard Disk Sentinel automatically detects the changed configuration and shows the new drive or removes from the list of drives currently displayed.

You can use the Windows "safely eject" feature even if Hard Disk Sentinel monitors the drive status and safely eject/remove the drive.
I always recommend this safe eject, just to be safe, but for some drives (if the write cache is disabled) it may be not required, no problem if the drive disconnected.
The Information page in Hard Disk Sentinel shows

Device Type: Removable, surprise remove possible

for such drives, these can be disconnected generally any time (if there is no write operation in progress).
Anuruddha

Re: is there anyway to temporarily disable hard drive monitoring for particular drive?

Post by Anuruddha »

Thank you for your reply and detailed explanation. I did't run any scan. It was just active on that time. Thank you again for confirming it didn't do any damage to my hard drive or data. I'm using it to backup my windows pc hard drives and at that time drive wasn't using for any backup task. Anyway it was connected with Quick removal policy.

Thank you again for your support.
-------------------
:geek: Anuruddha :geek: