Could the Report include the Volume name for each drive?

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
farmwald

Could the Report include the Volume name for each drive?

Post by farmwald »

It would be great if the report generator could include the volume name for each drive (i.e., the volume for the which the drive is a part of).

If the drive includes multiple volumes, I would be fine with either the first or the largest, although a list of all volumes would be best.

Thanks.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Could the Report include the Volume name for each drive?

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi,

Basically the end of the report contains a "Partition Information" section with all volume information including volume names, drive letters and associated physical drive indexes for each drives.
farmwald

Post by farmwald »

Sorry, I didn't explain my issue very well. The Partition Information at the end only lists volumes with drive letters (i.e., A: - Z:).

Windows allows mounts NTFS volumes without drive letters in NTFS directories. These aren't listed in the report.

Also, I have 74 disks mounted (thanks for increasing the limit) most of them without drive letters. It would be simpler (for me) if each drive listed it's associated volume in the report.

Thanks.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I see ;)
I'll check the possitibilites but I suspect this feature could be added to the next version.
farmwald

Post by farmwald »

Thanks. It would be a great convenience for me.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Has this feature been implemented yet? I also have several drives that do not have drive letters associated with them (only volume names). It would be nice to show it both in the report and on the logical drive list on the left side of the screen.

M'D

P.S. Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this was the only relevant thread that resulted from a search for "mounted" or "volume".
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I can confirm that since 8/9/2010 (version 3.30) the report already contains the NTFS mount points for all hard disks and this information is also displayed if you select the "Information" page of a particular hard disk:

Hard Disk Summary
-------------------
Hard Disk Number . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0
Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : S-ATA II
NTFS Mount Point(s) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : C:\drive0

The bottom left side (list of logical drives) do not show such drives, only drives with associated drive letters are displayed there (just like in Windows Explorer).
tetrapackage

Post by tetrapackage »

Some of my drives doesn't have letters yet, that's the problem I just learned earlier. Thanks.
farmwald

Post by farmwald »

Sorry to reopen this old topic, but...

As you know, the current HDS doesn't always give the correct mount points for drives. As I remember, it's a problem with lack of information from the controller driver.

I just spent spent some time trying to determine which volume (mount point) corresponded to a failing drive. I was unable to do it from windows, even with a combination of HDS, windows Disk Management and the (crappy) HighPoint Management Console. I finally had to pull drives until I found the right serial number (from HDS) and then looked at which volume was missing from windows. This is a terrible way to have to find a volume.

Is there any way for HDS to do a better job of getting the correct volume mount point? I'm willing to help - I can offer remote access to various systems for testing, among other things.

One note on HDS. I tried to add a drive letter in addition to the mount point, hoping that HDS would then help me with the drive id. Unfortunately that didn't work. I speculate, now, that if I had deleted the mount point and *only* had a drive letter it might have worked - the combination of both still gave me the (wrong) mount point.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi,

Thanks for your message and attention.

Basically, as previously discussed, the problem is not really the NTFS mount points for the hard disks and the drive letters as both are properly reported by Hard Disk Sentinel if standard controllers or other disk controller used.
The problem is that with HighPoint controller, currently it is not possible to detect which virtual RAID volume (related to an array, what you can see in Windows Disk Management and Device Management) contains which physical hard disks. Because of this missing link between the drives on the HighPoint controller, Hard Disk Sentinel can't determine which drive letter (or NTFS mount point) is related to which physical hard disks.

Thanks for your offer about testing on your system. Still investigating the issue and trying to find some method to match the physical drives with the RAID volumes and hopefully it will be possible in a later version.
farmwald

Post by farmwald »

Thanks.

I'm sort of sick of the high point controller anyway (really horrible software - I will never ever buy another controller from Highpoint), so I'll probably go back to somewhat less crappy SIL controllers.