2 week old SSD at 84%, don't understand report.

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Zenmuron3

2 week old SSD at 84%, don't understand report.

Post by Zenmuron3 »

Hello, I bought this sandisk SSD just over 2 weeks ago and it is already at 84%. I do understand that SSDs wear out over time and their health % should lower after use, but should it be this fast?

Just in case the image fails to upload, here is the copy paste of the message I get:

"16 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.

No actions needed."

Ive watched for 4 days now and each time another error occurs during data transfer, the health % will lower by one percent. I've re-done all of the cables for my hard drive (put a better one on the SSD) and plugged them into different sata ports and it has still lowered.

My SSD Model: "SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSSDHP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for Notebook"
Can be found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820171740

Please assist.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (83.93 KiB) Viewed 18211 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: 2 week old SSD at 84%, don't understand report.

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and the information.

I can confirm that yes, the wear of the memory cells of the SSD decreases the health - but not so fast.

According the information and experiences with this and similar models, there is a special attribute which is usually related to an internal problem of the SSD in general and may indicate problem with the SSD controller itself (not the memory cells which can wear). This error counter is detected and its change is reported by Hard Disk Sentinel in both the text description and the health %.
In some rare situations it is possible that the error counter of the SSD may change because of the disk controller (motherboard) where the SSD is connected, its driver and/or the communication channel (SATA cable) or overclocking which may cause that the SSD detects and records problems.

If possible, I'd suggest to use Report -> Send test report to developer option (even multiple times) as then it is possible to check the actual situation and verify if the problem is really related to the SSD - or to the working environment. It is possible that this counter (on this particular SSD model and firmware version) may work differently than the previous models/firmware versions tested - which means that Hard Disk Sentinel should ignore this when determining the health and possible errors with the SSD. The Report -> Send test report to developer can help to check this and take the required actions.

The best would be to:

- use Report -> Send test report to developer now
- use Report -> Send test report to developer again when you see any change in the reported health/text description (for example you see a new problem and decreasing health)
- use some disk testing methods in Hard Disk Sentinel as described at http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests - just to verify the situation and then use Report -> Send test report to developer again

This way it would be possible to check how the internal S.M.A.R.T. attributes change for your SSD model and firmware version.

Thanks for your attention and help in investigating this interesting situation !
Digitoxin

Post by Digitoxin »

I am having the same problem. I Just bought a brand new SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB SSD and the health has reduced to 93% in just a few hours. The culprit is Smart Attribute #168 which is labeled as Vendor-Specific. The Smart counter for this attribute has increased to 7 in the last 3 hours. It only appears to increase during writes. This attribute is causing Hard Disk Sentinel to decrease the health every time the counter is increased. What is this attribute supposed to be for on this drive. Vendor-Specific tells me nothing about this attribute.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I'd suggest to try the latest beta version 4.30.9 as there should be no problems with it.
If you see the decreasing health, use Report -> Send test report to developer option (maybe even send more reports, as described) to verify the situation.