Health altering from 70% to 0%

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
milvas

Health altering from 70% to 0%

Post by milvas »

Hello,

I am running a trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel. I think my two years old hdd (HGST HTS541010A9E680) is failing, and I wanted to test the software before I buy it. According to the program, my performance is constant at 100%, however, the health of my hard disk is at 70% with occasional (it happened twice during the time I`ve been using it, which is about 10 days) alert that the health is at 0%. That lasts for about 10 seconds, then it goes back to 70%. The estimated remaining lifetime is at 697 days at the moment. All the other software I used to check the hdd show that the disk is perfectly fine.

I was wondering, how precise are these reports? My hard disk is clearly not perfect, but I do not understand these alterations in the health. Naturally, I am backing up my data, but I was hoping to use this hard disk for a bit longer. 70% is great, but what does this 10 seconds long alert that it`s on 0% mean?

Thank you.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Health altering from 70% to 0%

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message.

Generally, yes, if the hard disk status is fluctuating, then it suggeests that something may be wrong.
This is usually caused by the hard disk as it sometimes provides complete status information - but sometimes only a partial status information.
Generally to detect complete hard disk status, disk monitoring software need to perform different detection techniques. In theory all should work (just may return problems) but in reality it is possible that we do not have partial status information only.

In some very rare situations the hard disk controller (more precisely its driver) can also cause similar - it may be in the background of that incomplete status information.

Personally I suggest to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in Hard Disk Sentinel, as then it is possible to check what happens, verify the actual situation (including hard disk controller and driver version) wth more details.

The best would be the "capture" the 0% health also (even if it's temporary) - so then we can see that status, compare with the (relatively) better.
In the registered Hard Disk Sentinel it would be easy, just we'd need to configure an e-mail alert to be sent when the failure predicted (0%) health level reached.
Also that registered Hard Disk Sentinel would help with the tests to diagnose the hard disk, reveal and fix possible problems/issues as described at http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests

If you prefer, please send a mail to info @ hdsentinel . com for a fully functional trial version, where the above will be possible, so you can diagnose the issue with more details.