How do you fix a bad sector?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
montressp

How do you fix a bad sector?

Post by montressp »

The bad sector only appeared when I did a force-shutdown on my laptop because it got stuck. When I turned it on, it started lagging so I checked the event viewer and it was registering errors like this:

Event ID #129 is saying "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.", while #7 says "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block." Based on my observation, the lagging usually happens when I open up Chrome for the first time upon turning on my laptop. Although I'm not sure if it's just Chrome or other browsers as well because there was an instance where I opened up Firefox and my laptop started lagging. The lags usually last for about 20-30 minutes. There are rare instances where it lasts for more than 1 hour like earlier, it stopped after 3 hours. During that period of lagging, I can't really use my computer. Programs become unresponsive when I interact with them. When that period of lagging happens, the event viewer gets filled with #7 and #129 errors.

I did some tests.

CrystalDiskInfo:

HD Tune:

HD Sentinel:

Sentinel shows the same SMART info as CrystalDiskInfo. This is what the overview says:

I also did a CHKDSK but I wasn't able to take a screenshot, but it found no bad sector or file something. I forgot what term it used.

I want to try the Disk Repair option but I'm afraid it might make things worse.

Thanks!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How do you fix a bad sector?

Post by hdsentinel »

Please use Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair function in Hard Disk Sentinel.

This designed exactly to repair, FIX problems related to disk sectors (which are technically not bad sectors, but weak sectors: any tool showing them as "bad" are incorrect).

Yes, it is well known that other tools may show/not show any problems and it is well known that chkdsk does not help, as it does NOT fix any bad sectors. This is a major confusion related to hard disks and storage and described many-many times on this forum (just search for chkdsk here).

If you right click on the text description area in Hard Disk Sentinel, the suggested link will appear:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_ca ... ectors.php

which clearly describes what are these weak sectors, how they appear and how to properly fix by the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair function in Hard Disk Sentinel - and how to avoid them in general.
It illustrates that chkdsk does NOT fix them: in "best" situation it isolates them which would create even more problems (as it is NOT a fix/repair).

So no need to waste time with xy tools and asking why these can't help - if you can use the solution to fix: use Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair function in Hard Disk Sentinel.

When the problematic sector fixed, the health of the hard disk will likely improve back to 100% and the problem will be eliminated.
Note that the graph on the bottom will still show the smaller value today as the graph shows the daily lowest health measured. But from tomorrow,
hopefully it will also show 100% - until any new problem/degradation will be found with the device.