Temp and HDD Failure (Google Study)

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
jmone

Temp and HDD Failure (Google Study)

Post by jmone »

The google study http://static.googleusercontent.com/ext ... ilures.pdf found that:
We first look at the correlation between average temperature during the observation period and failure. Figure 4 shows the distribution of drives with average temperature in increments of one degree and the corresponding annualized failure rates. The figure shows that failures do not increase when the average temperature increases. In fact, there is a clear trend showing that lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates. Only at very high temperatures is there a slight reversal of this trend. Figure 5 looks at the average temperatures for different age groups. The distributions are in sync with Figure 4 showing a mostly flat failure rate at mid-range temperatures and a modest increase at the low end of the temperature distribution. What stands out are the 3 and 4-year old drives, where the trend for higher failures with higher temperature is much more constant and also more pronounced.

These finding would bear out my two sets of WD Green Drive. I have two sets of 5 Drives each, one set in my PC where they run in the Mid 20's and one set in a NAS style box where due to the restricted airflow they run in the mid 40's. While not a great sample set, I see far more issues with Drive Health (according to HDS) with the ones running in the Mid 20's.

Perhaps HDS should have an Temp Alert for drives running under 30 deg.
alan-0000

Re: Temp and HDD Failure (Google Study)

Post by alan-0000 »

Perhaps the problem at low temperatures is not the temperature itself but the consequent higher Relative Humidity which can result in condensation.

It might be a challenging experience for a head to fly over a water-logged surface when the computer is powered up on a foggy morning :o
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the tip!
In general, we also recommend to use hard disks between the 30-40 Celsius range.
And more important, to verify the accuracy of the temperature sensor (see Help -> Appendix -> Temperature cailbration) because some models report much lower temperature than the real. Issuing an alert to "increase opeating temperature" may be catastrophic when the temperature is higher, just the sensor reports it incorrectly ;)
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Personally I completely agree.
Also it may be good idea to verify the complete hard disk before using it for the first time to store sensitive data as recommended at
http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests
( Hard disk health is low or recently changed or I just installed a new (used) hard disk. How can I perform a deep analysis? )
klauzser

Post by klauzser »

Right. Making sure that your hard disk is properly working 100% would be a great idea for starters.