hige reallocated event count on my new hdd

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
balabi

hige reallocated event count on my new hdd

Post by balabi »

I have bought a sl410k laptop five days ago with a ST9320325AS 320G hard disk.after i bought it.I test it with hdtune pro.And i found reallcated event count has a high value.And it already in yellow warning.during these five days,the raw value start from 5 to 65 now!!But the threshold is 30!Other attributes are also terrible for a new hard disk.for example raw read error rate,and seek error rate.
BY using hdsentinel,it tells my hard disk’health is only 70%
what should i do with this hard disk?Do i have a strong reason to ask the lenovo to exchange me a new hard disk?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: hige reallocated event count on my new hdd

Post by hdsentinel »

65 bad sectors is not really a high value. This may be frightening but it is still far more than acceptable by the manufacturer.
It is not rare that a drive produces some bad sectors at the beginning of its lifetime.

The "30" threshold does not mean that the number of bad sectors should be less than 30.
As the raw value increases, the "VALUE" field decreases and failure is expected (according to the manufacturer and in terms of warranty replacement) only if the "VALUE" field goes below the "THRESHOLD".
Hundreds of such bad sectors may be required before this would happen.
At that point Hard Disk Sentinel would display 0% health and then you can ask for warranty replacement.

At 70% yes, there were problems found with the drive, but is is considered to be "good" by the manufacturer and warranty replacement is not yet possible (as you may read in the text description of the drive).
(For more information, please check www.hdsentinel.com/smart where it is described how S.M.A.R.T. works with more details).

It is important to know that many hard disks have no opportunity to reach 0% health and may fail sooner.
At the moment, you would need to verify if the drive situation is stable or if the drive has further problems.
The best way is to use the File menu Surface Test functions in Hard Disk Sentinel. Various test methods are available to detect disk problems and fix them by reallocating the bad sectors to the spare area.

For more information, please check the Help -> Hard disk tests topic.
Additionally you can click on the "?" button next to text description area or read the details about the next step online at http://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/text_description.html
This will also describe the meaning of the current situation.

Also you can check the FAQ for information about this situation: http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#q13

The change of raw read error rate and seek error rate are normal for this drive because these are NOT error counter type attributes. These can increase to very high values, you do not need to worry about them.
balabi

Post by balabi »

I am really thankful for your patient and excellent reply.But I still have some doubts.After 12 days
the raw value date has reached 119.On the other hand,it is true that the "value " is still 100 ,far above the threshold 30.I am curious about the the mathematical relation between "date" and "value" on this particular item"reallocated event count".That is to say,how long will I have to wait the "value" to become from 100 to 99 for example ?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Your question is one of the best when we speak about hard disk S.M.A.R.T.
As you see, the field "Data" contains a raw value (an error or just a counter or a raw value
measured by a sensor inside the hard disk) and the "Value" field is
*somehow* calculated from this "Data".

The problem is that this information is not released by hard disk manufacturers.
The amount of raw Data change required to modify the "Value" field is different
from model to model (or even different firmware on same model has different values).
Manufacturers may use "tricks" to show their drives better than they really are.

This is why it is not advisable to rely on the "Value" and "Threshold" pairs.
Years showed that this conception is wrong, the article at
http://www.hdsentinel.com/smart/ describes it why with more details.

This is why the original idea of Hard Disk Sentinel is to analyse the "Data" field
and evaluate the real number of errors. The result is that the real number of
problems are logged, displayed and the unknown variables are eliminated from
the monitoring and failure prevention system.

Ps. if you can use the Report menu Send test report to developer, it helps as I can examine
the complete S.M.A.R.T. information of the drive. Such reports help me to analyse
the relation between the attributes and improve the software.
balabi wrote:I am really thankful for your patient and excellent reply.But I still have some doubts.After 12 days
the raw value date has reached 119.On the other hand,it is true that the "value " is still 100 ,far above the threshold 30.I am curious about the the mathematical relation between "date" and "value" on this particular item"reallocated event count".That is to say,how long will I have to wait the "value" to become from 100 to 99 for example ?